Sunday, November 27, 2011

Why!


Hello everyone. Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving.
Well after searching for a show to attend this week. I came up empty. So I decided to stay in and ask you a question. Why are you performing for an audience? Really analyze your answer. Yes I know you love writing music. I know you love to perform.
I ask this question because there was a show I was thinking about going to this weekend. And after my initial search it put a sour taste in my mouth. The bands were selling advance tickets for $10 per ticket. The day of the show tickets would be $15 at the door. And none of that money going to the band. The old pay to play scenario. Bands please run from these events. Your being taken advantage of. Most of the time these events happen at the more pristine clubs(or so we think). There is no club worth playing if you have to pay to play it. Do your research and find other clubs to play. Your making these bottom feeder promoters (and that's being nice) money and your taking money out of pocket to play this better club (so you think). Why? Again I ask you why?
I think alot of musicians are blinded by their own delusion. Paying to play a better room (so called) is not going to impress anyone but yourselves. I've seen it time and time again. Bands bragging on their web site what venues they have played. Or better yet what has- been band they have opened up for (usually another pay to play scenario). Bands need to think smarter. Pave your own path. Don't try and ride on another's coat tails.
What's funny is I do alot of research. This show I am speaking of is one of many I see all the time. I checked the web sites for this venue and not a single mention of this show on it. Now there are many layers that go into a show. From the bands, the promoter of the show and to the venue itself. But bands should be researching everyone involved in these shows. They are asking you to do alot of work. Have you asked them what they are doing? Bands you are in control. Take your power back. There is no mystery in putting a show together. Just a bit of elbow grease.
By the way the definition of a Promoter is: a person or thing that promotes something, in particular/a person or company that finances or organizes a sporting event or theatrical production. Hum? so you are paying some smuck to do nothing more than put some bands together and make them pay to play this wonderful event. Seems to me the bands are the ones promoting the show and selling tickets (while the promoter hands you the tickets to sell)(what exactly is the promoter doing?)
Again I ask you why. If you answer me be prepare for a rebuttal.

No comments: